Thursday, September 11, 2008

Simple text Analysis: I think we know where this is going.....

SpeechWars is a simple online Flash site that generations statistics on frequency of use for certain words in the speeches on the two US Presidential candidates for 2008, McCain and Obama. I opened the site from a mail list I belong to and the word of choice was 'Love'



Love is a popular word for McCain in the early days of his candidacy but it drops off a bit later. Obama was not so into *Love' at the start but it has become a more used word as the campaign progresses.
Now there is a word that is always popular, 'War'



Obama has said *War' almost twice as many times as McCain. It is difficult to judge the contexts of the use of the word and this is where SpeechWars is at its weakest, but I would imagine Obama is speaking against the war in Iraq and McCain continues to support is continuation. If this is the case it is interesting that McCain is willing to talk about the W-A-R only half as much as Obama is who is (in theory) against it.

Its like the Basil Fawlty Don't-mention-the war routine..."I did but I think I got away with it".

1 comment:

ED said...

None of them seem to have mentioned Elvis a single time in 4 1/2 years! ;-)