Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Networks Outlaws Articles Didgeridoos


Just for the record; what's going on?
Quite a lot. I am REALLY enjoying The Wealth of Networks:How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom by Yochai Benkler. This book is a very detailed examination of how voluntary networks function in the production of value. Pre-digital examples are given but it is under the regimes of the digital (Internet, Wireless, P2P, Commons, Free Software, EFF, Wikipedia, Project Gutenberg, Google....I am only up to page 160 of 473).If you want a better idea of what is happening today with the so called information society economy read Benkler!
A podcast featuring Yochai Benkler (Professor of Law and Political Science at Yale University) can be downloaded HERE. Buy or borrow the book (libraries are cool)....you will be glad you did.
Other things; I am 1/3 the way through a long essay entitled Narratives of Participation and Space: Pilgrimage, Aboriginal Narrative Worlds, Digital Media for a Polish new media arts magazine. I have been listening to The Proposition soundtrack. A great (almost) new Australian/British film with the script written by Nick Cave. A great film as well, but not one for the faint of heart.
I as well planning a return to the world longest Review of Literature. Up until a week ago I was wading though the last 16 years of academic writing on digital textuality....my god there is a lot of it! I am up to 2001 and will resume when this magazine article is done (deadline 20th October).
I recently watched a lecture by danah boyd that is available online as a video download. This talk really put social networks and youth in perspective for me. A very lucid and detailed account of the field of knowledge. If anyone still doubts the intellectual depth of the subject area they should check this free bit of education out.
Finally, I was sent a digital copy of the didgeridoo compilation (via gmail) that I have got a spot on, World Didgeridoo Vibes Volume 1. It is a network project itself and I am waiting to hear if I can put it on the Internet Archive for general download. I should know what's what soon and will post it somewhere. I have not yet had a chance to listen to it but it is a very handsome cover:

If anyone wants a copy just mail me and I can send you a zipped file of the whole CD.

No comments: