Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Harvard teaching law in Virtual World



"My project is the Berkman Center. It's my best shot at addressing the problems of the world. I think of it as a project for the world, for my country, for Harvard, for my community, my family and myself.

I am eon, d of c. I founded the Berkman Center to promote a cyber society built on principles of openness and sharing. I hold the Center to this vision. I feel its force. May the Force be with you."

So says Charles Nesson, Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He and his computer scientist daughter Rebecca will be teaching a course entitled CyberOne: Law in the Court of Public Opinion beginning next week. The video above is a summary of the course which will be taught in Second Life, in a "virtual courtroom is situated in a community called Berkman Island, a nod to Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet & Society".

The course will as well use wikis, blogs, streamed inworld video, chat rooms, podcasts and forums. For those of us not doing a term at Harvard this Fall:

"All of our videos and lecture materials will be freely available to anyone with an Internet connection. We’ll also be broadcasting select video on Cambridge Community Television, for residents of Cambridge, Massachusetts."

No comments: