Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Beggar's Notes: Stockholm Summer 2013

In the Swedish capital, Stockholm there is a form of begging that is performed on the metro trains. As far as begging goes it is a very polite and mediated form of the art. A beggar gets in a carriage and quietly places a note on all the spare seats next to sitting passengers. I have been photographing some of these notes. Not as an act of morbid spectatorship, but as an exercise in reporting back on urban space. If these short notes are windows into the tragic lives of others then their meaning is more poignant as parts of the performances that deliver them. Often over-dressed men and women (heavy jumpers, thick jackets on warm summer days) shuffling through crowded train carriages. Few pay attention to these street people, but they do make some money. I often see women giving coins, perhaps moved by the suggestions of suffering children, single mothers and homeless families. The uniformity of the situations reported in these notes -  homelessness, sick children, deceased parents (generally by accidents or political upheavals - never from drink, drugs or domestic violence), suggest that there is a genre of begging notes. However, knowing something of homelessness myself (by choice not necessity and 15 years ago as I roamed the wide world looking for adventure) there are some terrible things that happen to people. I consider these notes part of the urban milieu, a globalized world that is on show in every city street and train carriage. 



The above two notes are from different people but are the same. "Hello dear friend, I help my father more than I can, not to maintain myself with the income I get in Sweden but for us in Rumania. We have no income there is my brother to help me more than I can. God to help. Thanks"

"Hello, I come from Rumania and I have 4 brothers. My mother has a problem with hepatitis. There are also floods in Rumania. We have nowhere to live. Please help me with a little money so I can survive this tragedy. Thanks so much. May God help you."

"Hello! I have a brother. He is 17 years old and is paralyzed. My parents died in a car accident 6 years ago. Please help me with a little money for food and treatment for my brother. Thank you so much and may God help you."

"I am father to two children and one of them has a deadly disease. We have no home. I beg you to help us. I and my children need a home. We thank you for all the help you can give us."

"Hello! I am a poor woman. I have one child and he is sick with leukemia. He needs help for such treatment. Please help me with a little money. Thank you for your help. May God help you. Please give this note back thanks!"

"Hello! Be nice and help me with a little money for transplantation of skin ('hud') for my daughter. It is impossible for me to do without your help. Thanks so much for your help!"

 "Hello! Be nice and help me with a little money for transplantation of skin ('hud') for my daughter. It is impossible for me to do without your help. Thanks so much for your help!"

"Hello! Ladies and gentlemen! Would you be so kind as to help me with a little money. I have 4 children. My daughter is sick and I have no money for operation or medicine. Please help my daughter! Thanks! Gigi.

 Hello! I am from Rumania. My father died in the revolution when Ceausescu fell. I have 4 brothers and we have no social assistance. Please help me and my family with a little change for food (Or if you have some work for me I would be very happy). Thanks for the help! Return the note thanks!

Hello! I am a poor man. I have two children which one is sick with leukemia. He needs help for subsequent treatment. Please help me with a little money. Thanks for the help. May God help you. The note back please!



Hello! My ladies and gentlemen. If it is ok, please help me with a little money because my child (5 months) has leukemia. He needs a transplant operation. May God help you that help my child. Thanks [Two notes, three months apart, same text, different photos].

Hello, These are my children. I am a widow, I have no money to take care of school. I have a problem with my health and no money for medicine. I do not work anywhere and have no social support. Please help me. Thanks a lot!

No comments: